Powrmatic began its life in 1949, in a small warehouse and office in Whitechapel, East London, distributing automatic oil burners manufactured by then sister company Kresno Stamm Europa of Holland. Very soon the company also developed the first fully automatic oil-fired warm air heater as a replacement for solid fuel fired heaters and boilers.
The following decades saw significant expansion in both manufacturing capacity and breadth of products, along with a move to a bespoke manufacturing facility in Ilminster, Somerset, from where the company continues to operate.
Today Powrmatic is one of the UK’s leading manufacturers of heating and ventilation products for the commercial and industrial sectors, as well as offering an extensive range of energy-efficient split and condenserless air-conditioners.
What makes Powrmatic stand out from the rest?
- British-built products manufactured to the highest standards.
- Strong focus on product development for enhanced performance and efficiency.
- Continued investment in manufacturing.
- Strong partnerships with HVAC specifiers and installers.
A Bite-Sized History Of Powrmatic
- 1951 – Founder BIJ Stamm opens first warehouse and office in Whitechapel and develops first fully automatic oil-fired warm air heater.
- 1957 – Expansion necessitates move to larger manufacturing facility in Reading.
- 1964 – Further expansion leads to construction of bespoke manufacturing facility in Ilminster.
- 1968 – Introduction of Powrvent ventilators, manufactured in Ilminster.
- 1971 – Introduction of a range of sheet steel boilers and first entry into the air conditioning marketplace.
- 1974 – Acquisition of Tanaire Ltd introduces range of hot water/steam unit heaters to product portfolio. Partnership formed with Riello Burners.
- 1977 – Product range further extended with the introduction of suspended gas unit heaters, cast-iron oil boilers and hot water/steam unit heaters.
- 1981 – New range of Powrmatic PGUH suspended gas unit heaters developed.
- 1985 – Acquisition of fire ventilation manufacturer Lidiard and Skelton. Addition of third factory at Ilminster site.
- 2000 – PGUH warm air heater range replaced with NV range.
- 2003 – Business and assets of flue manufacturer Selkirk Manufacturing acquired.
- 2007 – All production facilities consolidated onto the Hortbridge site in Ilminster.
- 2008 – First generation of fully condensing gas unit heaters developed.
- 2009 – Second generation of NV gas unit heater – the NVx – introduced.
- 2010 – Landmark agreement signed for distribution of heating products within the Russian Federation.
- 2011 – Ventilation division awarded contracts to supply Aquatic Centre for 2012 London Olympics.
- 2012 – Powrmatic appointed UK distributor for Midea air conditioning equipment. Introduction of CPx range of oil and gas fired warm air cabinet heaters. Production capacity increased with purchase of Salvagnini fully automatic folding system.
- 2013 – Introduction of Powrmatic condenserless, twin-duct heat pump air-conditioners.
- 2014 – Acquisition of assets and IPR of smoke and heat exhaust ventilation product manufacturer SHEV Company Ltd.